Topics – International Round Table
Key topics for evening discussion round
The fundamental values of the European revolutions for freedom 1989/90: Source of keeping the memory alive and awake
- What’s left? – What are the values and ideas that influence our everyday life and living together now?
- Up-to-date… – What has become of the values and claims from 1989/90, do we still have to fight for them?
Global prosperity gap and social consequences of modern capitalism
- An unequal Europe – The prosperity gap within the EU jeopardizes European cohesion in society.
- Long absent, soon forgotten … – Lacking the awareness for how we are responsible for the third world’s (the Global South) misery and poverty.
- Migration – often the last way out …
Topics for the Satellite Tables
For a future-oriented culture of remembrance: independent and critical, historical research and reflection upon a history of dictatorships
- What does “democratic culture of remembrance” mean?
- Multi-perspective approach – a challenge for peace in society?
- The Central and Eastern European Freedom Movements of 1989/90 – how do we remember them? Reports by individual countries.
Working for peace and against violence
- Peace and mediation work between conflict parties in existing crises and wars (e.g. the Ukraine, Syria-Kurds, Turkey, Israel-Gaza).
- Solidifying peace and reconciliation in former regions of crises and conflict (e.g. former Yugoslavia, Georgia).
- How do we deal with growing hatred and increasing hostilities? – For a peaceful living side by side in civil society.
Climate change and responsible management of natural resources
- Predatory exploitation of nature and man – Irrevocable damage on natural resources and human health through excessive economic growth and consumption.
- For a change, now! – What needs to change in politics and the economy to make sure we can safe our planet?
- Only together! – How do we have to change our mindset as society to better save our natural resources?
- And now, what? – What do we want our planet’s future to look like? What can we do so that the existing natural resources are enough for everyone?
Defend freedom of the media, the press and investigative journalism!
- Is the freedom of the press threatened by politics? – The effects of an increasing shift to the right in Europe upon the media (main topic!)
- Dwindling plurality – Fewer but increasingly bigger media groups dominate the media landscape. What consequences does this have for our access to information and how society can form an opinion?
- Scandalism and fake news – Digitalization and fast pace as challenges for investigative journalism.
Women and LGBTQI rights – A challenge of its own in the context of the human rights movement
- Gender equality – Still a long way to go.
- LGBTQI – Living between hostilities, persecution and empowerment.
End corruption, strengthen lobby control!
- Who do parliaments vote for? – Lobbyism and corruption in politics.
- Nepotism and friendly turns – Corruption and fraud at large public contract awarding and basic supply.
- Strengthen society! – How can citizens raise public awareness for their concerns even against the economic giants’ interests?
The effects of state-surveillance and totalitarianism
- Opening up and investigating into the documents of the state security service (Stasi) of the GDR – Purpose and objectives today.
- Activists = state enemies?! – Surveillance and repression as a government means to suppress political and society’s activism, and democratic, outside parliament opposition.
- The state vs. citizens – How is the rule of law practiced within Europe?
- Security vs. human rights?! – Extension of the police force and surveillance apparatus – Developments in Europe.
Resentments against democracy caused by feeling “left behind” by society
- “Disenchantment with politics” – Declining political trust, and bitterness towards politics caused by feeling left behind by society and/or the whole world.
- Democracy for all! – What needs to change to overcome structural obstacles and facilitate political participation for all?
- Empowerment – Opportunities and limits of self-determined actions and becoming active.